The Department is responsible for management and maintenance of all ICT equipment for the institution. IT services include:
- Establishing and administering the organisation’s network (internet, intranet)
- The purchase, installation, maintenance, and upgrading of hardware and software
- Provision of technical support, usually via a help desk
- Provision of training in the use of equipment and software
- Developing, administering and maintaining the organisation’s website.
Services can be categorized into a few broad areas of:
- Development: As new technology arrives and as organisations change, systems to support these changes must be modified or developed.
- Administration: Involves making sure that the existing systems run smoothly.
- Support: Involves calling on IT expertise to fix problems as they arrive and to make necessary changes.
The key IT support roles are:
- Help desk support
- Network support
- Web/software/hardware support
Help desk support
Every day, a typical Help desk:
- Accepts problem calls from users
- Solves the problem for the user over the phone if possible. The assistance is usually limited to simple problem solving related to the operating system, software and basic peripheral devices
- If the problem cannot be solved over the phone, the relevant IT unit staff member, will go physically to assist the user.
Every day, network support staff:
- Managing the Wi-Fi
- Assist users in rectifying network-related problems such as security access, Internet access, network failure, printer failure
- Assist the network administrator in managing user accounts, installing software on the network, backing up and retrieving files and maintaining network security
Hardware / Software support
Every day, software support staff:
- Monitor the state of custom software systems
- Troubleshoot when the software fails to work properly
Apart from the above routine tasks there are tasks such as:
- Keeping records of hardware and software purchased, including the purchase of consumable items
- Ensuring equipment is well maintained and serviced where required